Doubling up on classes in certain subjects becomes a craze among high school students

Nikhil Namshamgari
Many students attempt to handle many consecutive classes by doubling up

The term “doubling up” simply means taking two classes on the same track in the same year and has recently become a trend among sophomores and juniors. 

One reason people may do this is to join the honors track. “Personally, I wanted to double up by taking Honors Biology and Honors Chemistry this year so I could get back on the honors track. I wanted to catch up with all my friends and go on to taking AP Physics 2 as a senior,” sophomore Justin Lim explained. 

In addition to getting on the honors track, many students double up to take advantage of all the classes offered by Pleasant Valley. The trend is primarily seen in the science field, due to the numerous honors classes available.

“I know PV has a lot of science classes that they offer, and I really want to be in as many classes before college as I can so I know some stuff before I actually go to college,” Lim expressed. 

The science track isn’t the only subject students choose to double up in, however, it is possible to double up in math as well. Statistics, offered either as dual enrollment with Scott Community College or a PV version, is very commonly paired with another math course. 

Course rigor is another common reason why many students double up. “At many of the colleges I am applying to, course rigor is something that is highly considered. That’s why I am currently taking a few honors and AP courses in science along with two math classes from PV,” said senior Srujan Nuthula. 

One main downfall with this track is simply the amount of coursework one would take at this time. Managing the basic classes along with additional core classes from subjects such as science and math can become overwhelming for many students as they try to balance homework, tests and other extracurricular activities. 

This is one thing that Lim contemplated before making the decision on trying to double up. “I can imagine how hard it would be to do everything at the same time. But in the end, it is all going to pay off and I feel that it will really help me more than it will harm me,” Lim stated. 

Over the years, doubling up has skyrocketed in popularity, and it will continue to rise as more students become aware of the option. Not only does doubling up allow students to learn more in a single school year, but also boosts their GPA, all of which fuel the decision to double up during course selection.