Toys for Tots generosity spurs hope during the holiday season

PV High Schoolers Spencer Johnson and David Todd volunteer at Toys for Tots. Photo credit to Spencer Johnson.

Christmas time is here and Kids across the United States have started making their list for Santa, but what happens when Santa can’t deliver?

Across the United States, one in five children do not receive a gift during the holiday season. The total rises to one in four children in single-parent homes. Many parents struggle affording  their child’s gifts without going into debt. 

This is where Toys for Tots’ generosity and hardwork changes everything. 

Toys for Tots is a prime example of the spirit of giving during the holiday season. The Marine Corp Reserve’s program collects new, unwrapped toys to distribute to the less fortunate, bringing hope and joy to the underprivileged children nationwide and in our community.

Toys for Tots warehouse during the holiday season as they prepare to distribute toys to those in need. Photo credit to Spencer Johnson

The non-profit charity helped over 9.9 million children in 2022, sending out more than 24.4 million toys. The organization is looking to increase this total for another record breaking year. 

Here in the Quad Cities, families, organizations and sponsors banded together to donate 29,962 toys to 6,602 children last year. 

These results are not easy to achieve as thousands of families request toys, taking hundreds of volunteers to distribute the ‘miracle toys’ to those in need. 

The act of volunteering is not only beneficial to the receiver of the gifts, but to the volunteer as well. “I think it really helps people develop empathy for others. To look at people and realize that what we see on the surface does not always mean we know what other people are going through,” said Christina Myatt, service learning director at PVHS. 

“It gives an opportunity to see people who are in different situations than you, to understand how you as a person can make an impact on others in our community, and to make our community a better place by bringing happiness to someone else that might not have something,” she continued. 

The project brings the community together but, more importantly, gives the less fortunate a reason to smile during the holiday season. “It’s the Christmas joy we all need”, even the volunteers receive a burst of dopamine: “That one toy that you buy for Toys for Tots goes to that one child that may not have received anything. That is the biggest joy of volunteering and giving,” Myatt said. 

Spencer Johnson has donated and volunteered to Toys for Tots the past five years, “Every year my family and I donate toys to Toys for Tots. On top of this we go to the Toys for Tots warehouse where they sort and organize the toys, deciding which families and kids they go to.”

He remarked: “My Christmas experience has always been so much fun and the gifts are a huge part of it. So many families are not able to afford presents during the holiday season. Although I never get to see these families it is an incredibly rewarding experience just knowing you are helping bring joy to someone’s holidays.”

As the holiday season is officially upon us, Toys for Tots truly makes a difference in the lives of underprivileged children of our community. They continue to strive everyday towards their motto, “every child deserves a little Christmas.”