Art Classes provide students with unique skills

Ariana Assadi
The art hallway at Pleasant Valley High School, with some of the students’ works hanging on the wall. The art classroom is also pictured, where students take a majority of the art classes.

The first classes to be cut when schools lose funding are the arts, regardless of the benefits schools have seen from allowing students to learn skills not in the required curriculum. 

There are many different types of art:music, ceramics, photography, painting, and so many more. They each require the use of skills that are not typically required for school courses. Each art style teaches things that can be utilized to have an appreciation for the smaller and more beautiful things in life. 

The current PV curriculum is heavily focused on preparing students for college, and a lot of course work  is fast paced and highly logical. There is little room for students to use their emotions or contribute their thoughts into the discussion, with the exception of some English classes. Taking art classes can help students use their emotions to contribute something that other people can appreciate.

When students learn how to do something for fun, it can give them an outlet for when they are stressed and don’t know what else to do. 

“A lot of what I make is based on how I’m feeling,” said Alaina Melchert, a senior at PVHS. “I have a lot of half finished pieces because it changes a lot.” What makes art classes special is that they are a lot less strenuous with the work you have to do in them. Because of how emotionally focused it is, there is a lot more space for changing what you are making or starting a new project.

Although most schools only require one or two art classes to receive passing credit, many students enjoy the classes they end up taking. “I haven’t taken many art classes, but I enjoy art in my free time,” said Maddie Lee, a senior at Pleasant Valley High School. Students who generally take more traditional, pre-college and college preparatory classes still enjoy what they get out of the art classes. 

It is important for schools to recognize the importance of art classes in students’ learning and development. Art classes provide students with unique learning opportunities and a chance to improve their emotional awareness while in school.