Artificial intelligence devalues the purpose of art

Artificial intelligence is able to make art pieces that follow a specific description. However, artificial intelligence learns from art by artists who are not compensated by the artificial intelligence or the apps that use artificial intelligence. Photo credit to: Adobe Spark

Artificial Intelligence (AI) will take an estimated 25 million jobs, ranging from communications and sales jobs to surgical jobs and even art careers like writers and artists.As the use of AI expands, it is important to separate valuable uses of artificial intelligence from careers better performed by humans.

All forms of art were created to forge human connection through creativity. Artificial intelligence does not serve that purpose.

“I think the arts are a way to creatively look at the world. It gives us a way to look at both historical things and problematic things, things that are bigger questions in life, but to do it in a way that is accessible to others. This is sometimes through laughter, sometimes through tears, but it gives us an insight to the world, and a starting point for us to have conversation,” said PV theater director Christina Myatt.

Many artists, including photographers and painters, can use AI to fix backgrounds or to draw inspiration, making it a useful tool.

However, an art display full of AI artwork would not only monetize off another artist, but would also lack the authenticity and connection of human art. Artificial intelligence thrives by collecting data sets from people. During the process, AI does not avoid harvesting copyrighted artwork. Because AI “creates” paintings using the work of other artists, it is stealing the intellectual property of artists without them being compensated.

“Authentic, human art has insight, emotion, experience, and the empathetic touch of a human. When creating art, what matters most is the love and hardwork that artists put into their work. AI is a human generator, so it does not share any emotion and thus does not create any value to its art,” said PV student and artist Tanvi Devulapally.

Famous artists spend years developing specific techniques and an original style that separates their artwork. Artist Salvador Dali took approximately a year to complete each of his pieces. Without the work of these human artists, art culture would cease to exist. 

“If you think about how rich the history of art is and just even thinking back to when you were a little kid and you went to art classes and you learned about artists like Van Gogh, you don’t have backing or history behind the art. It’s not a response to a personal or cultural situation,” said PV art teacher Aimee Peters.

An artists paintings or characters come to life because they include their own personality and style, and tell a story. The emotion people put into their work can foster a connection between the artist and those who view the art. Artificial intelligence removes the connection art creates.

“When an artist creates a piece they put a little bit of themselves out there for everyone to see, and you lose that humanity when art is done by AI. You can type something into a computer, but it’s not the same as when an artist creates a piece. It’s such a visceral feeling, like when I’m working on a painting it’s almost like I were running a race, you are physically invested in the piece, and you can’t get that with AI,” said Peters.

The use of AI in art includes job loss for actors and actresses. The SAG-AFTRA union, which had 160,000 actors on strike, holds concern about the use of artificial intelligence in place of actors and actresses. 

Recently, studios are suggesting full body scans of background actors, so they would be present for a day’s work. From then on, they would then own the individual’s image, scan, and likeness. Taking away background actors and actresses removes scouting opportunities. Being a background actor is a step towards booking a greater role. Big name actors Matt Damon and Ben Affleck began as extras.

As AI technology advances, companies could replace bigger roles with AI cloning technology. Replacing actors and actresses would be a mistake as actors put a lot of consideration into their delivery. 

Myatt noted that cast members take the time to think about their character and the best way to deliver their lines.

“We will talk about what is the character feeling? What is it they are trying to say? Why do they want to say that at this point? It is taking an understanding where that person is, what they are going through, and how do you convey that to the audience in a way that is real to them, and can ignite some kind of feeling in them,” said Myatt.

Simply replacing art with AI is a mistake that devalues art. Art is essential to culture and human connection, and replacing art with technology undermines and insults the work of artists.