“Write for Rights” sparks advocacy for global rights in high schoolers

Prerna Vanga
    Students can grab a letter template to submit for service learning hours. Letters are also written to show support for innocent victims who were standing up for human rights

Pleasant Valley’s Amnesty Club is hosting their first “Write for Rights” school-wide service learning event throughout the month of December. 

The campaign was formed by Amnesty International and is usually hosted around Human Rights day, Dec. 10. This year, PV hosted three events and students were given ten different topics to write about. These topics range from racial injustice to freedom of speech to abortion regulation. 

Students are tasked with writing letters to people in authoritative positions on behalf of those who cannot. In the past, this strategy has proven effective. Most recently, the 2022 Write for Rights campaigned for Jonah Mamombe and Cecelia Chimbiri to be freed. These women were charged and tortured in Zimbabwe for leading a peaceful protest. 

Supporters wrote over half a million letters on behalf of the women, who were later acquitted of their crimes. Each year, simply writing letters has shown overwhelmingly positive results. 

Nadia Meeks, PV’s Amnesty chapter’s co-founder, planned this event with this past success in mind. “Write for Rights is a simple activity that people can do in a short amount of time; yet its impacts are powerful. These letters can cause change, foster support and empower students and participants because they know that their voice matters,” Meeks expressed.

Letters are also written to show support for innocent victims who were standing up for human rights. Hand-written letters show the solidarity, love and unity that young activists have. 

Out of the ten topics, nine are based out of the United States, giving participants more exposure to issues around the world.

Jenni Levora, Amnesty Club’s teacher sponsor, believes that this event can teach students fundamental values. “I think the stories are compelling and it shows the variety of human rights issues around the world. My hope is that they read the stories and learn about the injustices in our world. It kind of takes them out of their little bubble when thinking about bigger issues,” she explained.

This opportunity promotes understanding and awareness of global issues. Students learn how societies impact each other and treat their residents. Creating global citizens, participants can engage in critical thinking and discussions.

“It’s so amazing seeing all of the students who care about these issues,” Meeks exclaimed. “I hope that this event is a domino effect for many students and promote more change in the world.”

With over supporters from over 100 countries, Write for Rights is the biggest human rights event in the world. PV students are given this amazing opportunity to promote some change in the world, all with one pencil and a piece of paper.