The holiday season loses joy due to financial and social pressures

The Wilson family children are experiencing childlike Christmas joy. For many as they grow up, that joy fades away. Photo credit to Valorie Wilson

Often when people reminisce on the holiday season as children, they remember pure joy.From classroom parties and playing in the snow, to waking up at 6 a.m. to open presents on Christmas morning, it truly was the most wonderful time of the year. However, as people grow older, the joy is  replaced with a creeping sense of dread. 

With prices at an all time high, limited time off from work and social media influencing the appearance of many people’s Christmas, many believe Christmas is losing its magic. 

A big part of what makes the holiday season amazing is the presents, activities, food and drinks. These traditions can’t be properly experienced and enjoyed when many people can’t even afford the basic costs of living. 

Sophomore Micaela Checchin loves the Christmas season and reflected on the dullness of this holiday season. “I think the fact that other things are more important than Christmas, like food and shelter, makes Christmas a lot more stressful,” she stated. “Christmas is additional joy to people’s lives, and with inflation rates so high, people can’t afford added luxuries.”

74% of Americans admit that inflation is affecting their holiday spending this season, and 31% are working extra hours to prepare for the holidays. Many people feel immense financial pressure in their everyday lives, and the holidays are now adding to it. 

Social media is also beginning to seep its way into the joyfulness of the holidays season, and there is beginning to be a social pressure that aligns itself with the holidays.

People are wanting to get the newest and trendiest presents in the present day era of high consumerism. This adds to the financial pressure of the holidays, and causes many to approach Christmas with a materialistic mindset. 

Many trends on social media also push the narrative that Christmas should fit into a certain aesthetic and not exude the joy that it once did. “Sad beige christmas” is a trending hashtag on tiktok, with 22.5 million views.  This trend is where many influencers are altering classic Christmas traditions to fit the modern minimalist aesthetic that many thrive for. 

Junior Amelia Noguera conveyed her feelings on how the appearance of Christmas affects the holiday spirit. “A lot of what makes Christmas joyful is the fun colors and decorations,” she said. “Dulling down the color also dulls down the feeling of joy, and aesthetics should not have that kind of effect on such a fun holiday.”

Tacky Christmas traditions are not always the most pretty on the outside, but the time spent with loved ones and memories should overrule the appearance. The uprising in “Aesthetic Christmas” is beginning to ruin the holiday spirit. Being aesthetic also contributes to the financial pressures of the holidays, for as trends are ever changing, Christmas decorations don’t last as long as they once did because they are no longer considered timeless. 

The holidays should be enjoyed blissfully, but as people grow older, financial and social pressures ruin the spirit of the holiday season. Time that should be spent celebrating with loved ones is becoming an additional stressor to many adults, resulting in the magic of Christmas to fade away.