Top 6 math study resources

High+school+math+often+requires+extra+study.+Scott+Community+Colleges+Calculus+III+recommends+the+resource+Mathispower4u+for+helpful+videos.+
Laura Chen
High school math often requires extra study. Scott Community College’s Calculus III recommends the resource Mathispower4u for helpful videos.

Math is a commonly dreaded subject for high schoolers. Often considered to be useless, rote memorization, students have a hard time learning and studying the content. While there are a myriad of online resources and problem solvers, here are the top choices for high school math. 

Khan Academy

Khan Academy is the epitome of online learning. The free, non-profit educational site was founded by Sal Khan and is the quintessential math platform. With Khan Academy, students can watch educational videos and apply the content to practice problems. At the end of each unit, mastery checks reinforce the information. Khan’s platform also provides space for students to ask questions and get feedback from an educator. The site is best for early elementary math up to calculus, and high school students find its resources best for watching individual videos, which are also available on Youtube. 

Wolfram Alpha

Founded by mathematician, computer scientist and physicist Stephen Wolfram, Wolfram Alpha is one of the most powerful math problem-solving engines. The free program is able to compute everything from simple algebraic systems of equations to complex series, summations, derivatives and integrals. Wolfram Alpha is helpful for checking answers, and subscribed users can also access the work, or steps, for the problem.

3Blue1Brown

3Blue1Brown is a website and Youtube channel by Grant Sanderson. The channel focuses on physics and higher math, using visual representations to explore interesting mathematical concepts that might not be covered in school. There are resources for reinforcing math learning as well as videos that show the beauty of math. Sanderson also provides the videos for Khan Academy’s Calculus, Differential Equations and Linear Algebra courses.

Desmos

Most students know Desmos as an online graphing tool and have not used it since Algebra I. However, Desmos can be used for much more than plotting lines. The resource is effective for visualizing equations and checking problems. Students in Algebra II and Precalculus can use Desmos to graph trigonometric functions, and students in Calculus use it to visualize derivatives, integrals and summations. The Desmos phone app is also an amazing upgrade from the basic phone calculator.

Mathispower4u

Mathispower4u is another website and Youtube Channel. Created by James Sousa, the channel provides content on Pre Algebra, Algebra I, Algebra II, Calculus I, Calculus II, Calculus III, Geometry, Trigonometry, Linear Algebra, Discrete mathematics, SAT preparation and more. Videos on any topic can be found through the well-organized website, and practice problems abound. 

Paul’s Online Math Notes

This website, put together by a Lamar University professor, gives a comprehensive guide to Algebra, Calculus I, Calculus II, Calculus III and Differential equations. The site is completely free and provides downloadable files and tutorials, including notes, cheat sheets, practice problems, assignment problems and review. Paul’s Online Math Notes are especially helpful for students in Calculus.