6 quick-read graphic novels

Laura Chen
Graphic novels are a fun, easy-to-read form of storytelling. Available at school and public libraries, they are great option for prolific and reluctant readers alike.

Graphic novels are an often overlooked reading format. They tell a story and include stunning artwork, which adds depth and character to the work. Graphic novels are a great option for a quick read or to get back into reading without committing hours to one book.  

“This Was Our Pact” by Ryan Andrews

A middle-grade story of friendship and adventure, “This Was Our Pact” is a whimsical tale told in a dark yet stunning art style. On the night of the Autumn Equinox Festival, a town sends off paper lanterns. This year, a group of friends makes a pact to follow the path of the lanterns and discover their final destination. With magical realism, Andrews sets a story of trust and imagination filled with discovery of the unknown.

“Ducks: Two Years in the Oil Sands” by Kate Beaton

This memoir by Beaton recounts her days working in the oil fields in Alberta, Canada. Rather than college, she chooses to work, traveling to the male-dominated oil industry. Isolated from her family, Beaton recounts long shifts and unease around coworkers. On the job, she experiences a multitude of instances of sexual harassment and is sexually assaulted. Following her time in the oil fields, Beaton pursues art school, her true passion.

“The Prince and the Dressmaker” by Jen Wang

“The Prince and the Dressmaker” is an Eisner award-winning fairytale about love, identity and expression. Prince Sebastian’s parents are in pursuit of a princess for him to marry, but Sebastian is more focused on his passion — fashion. Prince Sebastian’s seamstress and friend, Frances, hopes to make a name for herself by designing dresses for the prince. At night, he dresses as Lady Crystallia to explore Paris. However, Sebastian must balance his passion with the challenges of his family.

“Pumpkinheads” by Rainbow Rowell

“Pumpkinheads” is a feel-good story for all ages. The book is short but sweet and follows two high school students, Josiah and Deja, as they experience their last night working at their local pumpkin patch. Deciding to make the best of their limited time together, Deja takes Josiah around the grounds to find his workplace crush. They make memories along the mission and end up finding true love.

“The Phantom twin” by Lisa Brown

In Brown’s historical graphic novel, Jane and Isabel are conjoined twins living and performing with a traveling freak show. Alongside their act are a bearded lady, mermaid, snake charmer and other anomalies. When a surgeon fails in an attempt to separate the twins, Jane dies. Isabel is left with an arm, a leg and her sister as a phantom limb. While reporters attempt to expose the freak show, Isabel must decide whether to leave and how to live a life of her own.

“Family Style: Memories of an American from Vietnam” by Thien Pham

Through his first memoir, Pham describes his experience from childhood and through adolescence as a refugee from Vietnam. Starting with the journey from Vietnam to a refugee camp in Thailand, Pham correlates each stage in his life with the smell and taste of a food. Once in the U.S., Pham and his family find footing in running businesses. The hopeful story is filled with both joy and struggle.