Spartan Assembly’s last hurrah

As the year comes to an end, members of Pleasant Valley’s Spartan Assembly are ready to finish out the school year by putting on a couple more events for the school and the community. Spartan Assembly has held numerous events throughout the year, and still has several that they would like to coordinate. Emma Horsfield, junior, is the treasurer this year for Spartan Assembly. Horsfield said, “After finishing our events supporting The Native Fund, Spartan Assembly is currently working on a Smoothie Bar, April Blood Drive, Mr. PV, and powderpuff to engage the student body.” Spartan Assembly hopes to put on events that get as many people engaged as possible, so they can collect donations. Horsfield said, “All proceeds will go to help local food pantries.” Each year, Spartan Assembly raises funds for the local food pantries in our communities that are in need of help. They hope these events will help them be able to contribute to those in need.

Spartan Assembly is planning to have a smoothie bar sometime before spring break. They will be selling fruit smoothies in the morning to raise funds for the local food pantries. Another event geared towards raising funds is powderpuff, where the girls of the school make teams and play football. Whereas powderpuff is geared towards the ladies, Mr. PV is for the men. Samina Abdullah, senior, said, “Mr. PV is Pleasant Valley’s male beauty pageant. Any confident high school male may participate! While there is an opening dance number, a legs competition, and a talent portion, the most important prerequisite is a charismatic personality.”

In addition to the events listed above, Spartan Assembly will be hosting their final blood drive of the year come April. They are hoping to get as many donors as possible so that they are able to collect their goal units of blood for the Mississippi River Bend Blood Center. There has been a recent decline in the number of units collected at PV’s blood drives, so Spartan Assembly is looking to make the upcoming blood drive the most successful one yet.