Transgender wrestler controversy

According to the Texas University Interscholastic League (UIL), when a high schooler is competing in a high school athletic they must be in the league that matches the gender on their birth certificate. When one changes their gender or transforms their gender, this rule becomes difficult to use properly.

However, there are ways for transgenders to get their gender changed on their birth certificate.  It is very difficult to get the approval in Texas though, one must have a court order and not all judges are willing to give one.

A 17-year old transgender boy, Mack Beggs, is currently experiencing this in Texas. Although Beggs is taking testosterone, he is still required to participate in the girls’ wrestling division. Not much was said about him until Feb. 18, 2017, when he won his region’s 110-pound championships for girls. Rachel Tebbe, senior, said, “Since she is taking testosterone which is a steroid hormone, she shouldn’t be able to compete just like any other athlete who takes steroids.”

Agreeing with Tebbe, many of Begg’s opponents have tried to sue the UIL in order to prevent him from wrestling. The competitors claim they have no issues with Beggs himself or his gender identity, the only problem they want to make a point of is the unfair advantage. Brandon Leoni, junior, stated, “I see wrestling as a balanced sport not a cheating sport. If you can’t win a lot in a weight class, drop down some weight classes. Don’t decide to take steroids or anything like that, that isn’t natural to your strengths and abilities. I think what the girl did was wrong, that’s cheating. You need to work for your wins not cheat your way to victory. So I do not feel this situation is fair to the other wrestlers.”

$580
$1000