Tennis bouncing into gear

With spring quickly approaching, it is almost time for the high school tennis season to start kicking into gear.

After losing in the district final to Cedar Rapids Washington and finishing with a 20-1 team record last year, the PV boys team is primed for a run at the state tournament this spring. The boys team this year is lead by Sriram Sugumaran, senior, and he has high expectations for this season. Sugumaran said, “The goal for the team is to try to make it to team state this year.” After losing just one senior last year, Charlie Humes, the boys have the talent and experience needed to make a deep run in the spring. Sugumaran, who won a state title last year, also has high expectations for himself individually.  He said, “I’m trying to make it to state once again and do what I did last year.” After losing Humes, a large part of the boys tennis team, it is predicted that  the last varsity spot will be filled by Nathan Wong, sophomore. Wong has been working very hard to make varsity this season, and he said, “I’ve been practicing hard over the off season, and I have increased my focus a lot since last year.”

The PV girls tennis team is also expecting to compete for a state title this season. After finishing with a record of 20-1 and losing in the state championship match last year to Cedar Rapids Prairie and finishing as state runner-up for the past two years, the team is hoping to finally capture the title. The girls team has a lot of talent returning and should be a good match for their opponents as the state tournament approaches.

$580
$1000