Iowa City failed alcohol compliance checks

On Saturday February 20, 2017, seven Iowa City businesses and bars failed alcohol compliance checks. The Iowa City Police used underaged people to conduct the operation. The individuals attempted to purchase alcohol from 31 different businesses. From the 31 businesses, police said that 24 denied the underaged customers from buying alcohol underaged or those without an ID shown. The seven businesses who failed alcohol compliance checks were: Cactus, 245 S. Gilbert St., The Summit Restaurant and Bar, 10 S. Clinton St., Pints, 118 S. Clinton St., Deli Mart, 2410 Mormon Trek Blvd., Kum & Go, 955 Mormon Trek Blvd., L & M Mighty Shop, 504 E. Burlington St., Deli Mart, 206 E. Benton St.

The employees who made the transaction were charged with selling alcohol to persons under age. This is only a misdemeanor punishable by a $500 fine, but all violations are reported to the Iowa Alcoholic Beverages Division for civil penalties. This of which could impact the future of the liquor licenses the businesses possess.

The importance behind the frequent alcohol compliance checks are to prevent underage drinking. Underage drinking is responsible for more than 4,300 deaths annually according to The Teen Rehab Center. Underaged drinking is often the case for many college students and as well as a large percentage of high school students who drink at parties and social events. Underage drinking is largely influenced by these businesses who bend the rules. One in six teens, when consuming alcohol, binge drink, which can lead to many negative side effects. Pleasant Valley senior, Skylar Yutesler, said, “Teens don’t under the serious effect binge drinking can have on them.” Some side effects are: dizziness, seizures, profuse sweating, and vomiting. Pleasant Valley senior, Connor Fields, said, “Underage drinking can lead to bad decision making, and spartan kicks.”

$480
$1000