University of Iowa Children’s Hospital

As of Feb. 25, 2017, the new University of Iowa Children’s Hospital has opened seven of its fourteen floors for pediatric patients. The new hospital’s very first patient was a 6 year old boy from Bettendorf Iowa, William Kohn. William Kohn is the son of one of Pleasant Valley High School’s own staff, and the student body has been very supportive.

“The new hospital is great, while Will has always been receiving great care from the University of Iowa Hospitals, the children’s hospital is a lot more interactive,” said Christopher Kohn, a teacher at Pleasant Valley and father of William. “We couldn’t be happier, given the circumstances.”

The new hospital chose to move all of their most critical patients first, but finished the move within the week. “It’s great that these children are getting their own space to be kids, while they are recovering or fighting,” said Lauren Cramer, a senior at Pleasant Valley.

The hospital is 500,000 square feet and cost around $360-million dollars. It was one of the largest constructions going on in Iowa. The hospital is said to be much more interactive with its patients, and it overlooks Kinnick Stadium, where the Iowa Hawkeyes play football, soccer, etc. “It’s even better knowing that these kids are getting front row seats to watch the Hawkeyes,” says Cramer.

The hospital is still taking donations everyday, to benefit both the construction costs and the new residents. Donations will directly impact patients and help the staff to offer more programs, allow for the Child Life Specialists to buy more toys and games for the floors, and purchase advanced medical technology necessary for the health of the children. Emma Gellerstedt, Pleasant Valley High School senior says, “The opening of the new children’s hospital may not affect us personally, but knowing that it is impacting people in our community is heart-warming.”