Grade A grad party

May is almost upon us, which means ‘tis the season of graduation parties’. A graduation party is a celebration held around the same time as the graduation ceremony. For many high school students, this is a time to relax and have fun with friends and family while celebrating their completion of high school. Rachel Tebbe, senior, says, “I love the idea of spending time with my friends while celebrating something special.” From sending out invitations, to planning the actual party, there are a lot of details that go into having a graduation party.

The first step to planning the perfect graduation party is to pick a date. Whether a week before the ceremony, a week after, or the day of, pick a date that best suits the graduate. It is impossible to choose a date that works for every single family member or friend, but picking a date early in the year will make sure the party-goers save the date. Along with picking a date, specifying the time the party will be held, should also be done. Common times to have the party are right away in the morning, around lunch time, or later in the afternoon. Most graduation parties are “open house” style where people come and go as they please, so pick the time that best fits the graduate’s schedule. Once a date and time is picked, invitations can easily be sent out via mail or online through an evite or Facebook.

The second step is establishing a budget. Believe it or not, fun party additions can add up causing more money to be spent than anticipated. The best thing to do, so that a fortune is not spent on this one day event, is to sit down with whoever is paying for the party and decide on a financial plan. This is an essential step in the graduation party planning process, as it will dictate the decisions made for the rest of the party. Discuss how much money is allowed to be spent, and what the majority of it should be spent on. If spending a lot of money is not appealing, consider having a small gathering with family and a few close friends. This will save money on renting a venue, catered food, and decorations.

Last, but not least, is the actual party prep. Decorations and food are the key to having a successful party. The food can be homemade or, to make it easier, the food can also be catered. Make sure there is enough food and refreshments to last throughout the entire party. For decorations, pick a theme or color scheme that best fits the wishes of the graduate. Decorate with old photos, sports trophies, or favorite memorabilia to make the party unique to the graduate. Maureen Thomsen, senior, says, “I have just begun to plan for my grad party and Pinterest has definitely come in handy for me! There are a variety of ideas ranging from food to decor and everything in between that makes the planning process much easier!”

With all of the hustle and bustle of graduation party planning, don’t forget to take time and enjoy the party itself!