Cheerios saving the bees

The bee population has been declining for a while now, and, for the first time, bumblebees are officially endangered. This has been caused by a loss of habitat and a small population. Connor Hughes, junior, said, “The amount of animals that are becoming endangered is pretty bad, and it’s crazy that even bees are on that list now.” Because of this, Cheerios is taking action.

They are attempting to plant more than 3,000 acres of bee habitats on oat farms by the year 2020. They are also sending out packets of flower seeds across the country for people to plant and help restore the bees’ habitat. Their original goal was to send out 100 million seeds, but they have already sent out 1.5 billion seeds. Cam Peer, senior, said, “It’s cool that they are trying to help, but I think it’s more to save their business than the bees.” Although bees’ production drastically affects the Cheerios company and the products they make, it also affects the entire food market. Bees and their honey are an important part of a lot of the foods made, and they are dying out globally because of habitat loss.

Cheerios’ plan would, in theory, solve this dilemma, but there is a problem with their plan. Many of the seeds they sent out are viewed as invasive and are banned in many places. A few examples are “forget-me-nots,” which are banned in Connecticut and Massachusetts, and poppy seeds, which are seen as an invasive pest plant and are banned in California. Many of the seeds sent out are also not native to the United States.
Cheerios issued a statement on the complaints, which said, “The seed varieties in the mix are not considered invasive. The flower varieties within the Bee Friendlier Mix were selected for their flowers which produce nectar and pollen that are attractive to bees and other pollinators.”