The new face of spring cleaning

With the warm weather fast approaching, many people across the world are starting their spring cleaning. Some people take this time to reorganize their rooms, dust the entire house, and some individuals even go as far as to wax the floors and reseal grout lines. Now, spring cleaning has taken on a new meaning for many. People are taking this time to rid themselves of everything toxic in their lives. Whether this be people, feelings, or unnecessary baggage, people are removing things that hold them back so they can enter the warm season stress free.

This is a process that people should try whether it be spring or not. Many do not realize how attitudes and actions of others can impact their own mood and behavior. By surrounding one’s self with only positivity it becomes much easier to live a happier life.

There are many ways that individuals can remove toxic things from their life. One way that people go about purging negativity is by deleting people on social media. If there is an account that constantly posts messages that are degrading to others, rude, or pessimistic they should be unfollowed or removed. Gracie Wilson, senior, recently went through her twitter and unfollowed many accounts. Wilson said, “I unfollowed a bunch of people because the more people I follow, the more time I spend on social media, and that’s a waste of time.”

Another way that people can cleanse themselves of toxic people and feelings is by limiting contact with people who bring negativity to one’s life. This could mean one leaves a group chat, tells someone they need some space, or simply make a conscious effort to bring positivity to the interactions with these people. Sophie Marchiori, senior, recently removed herself from a situation in which she was surrounded by negative emotions. Marchiori said, “I feel refreshed and I’m glad I made the choice to leave.”