Why not stay in Iowa?

Not many students from Pleasant Valley in the 2017 graduating class are going out-of-state for college. The majority of the students this year appear to be going to The University of Iowa, The University of Northern Iowa, Kirkwood, or Iowa State University.

Lauren Cramer is going to attend University of South Florida in Tampa, Florida next year. Her plan is to major in marine biology, and wants to someday become a marine animal rehabilitator.  “Originally I was going to attend Iowa State”, said Cramer, “but there were a lot more opportunities down there from the beginning as far as saving money (surprisingly), including internships and knowing people that could later help me get a job.”  Cramer cannot wait to be down south and study in the best environment for her end goal.

Next fall, Natalie Adams has chosen to become a freshman at Dixie State University.  Adams said, “I fell in love the second I got to campus, I knew exactly that this was going to be the place for me! I had only been there for a short time, and had already felt at home.”  Staying in Iowa was never a thought in her head because; “It’s not really my style of environment, I love the outdoors and to go hiking or climbing.  So I wanted to be surrounded by things that I love and be able to take care of the environment”, said Adams.  She will be majoring in Business and Communications, and minoring  in ASL.

Attending Missouri State University next year is Emily Bruinsma.  This university is based in Springfield, Missouri, which is just shy of seven hours away from the Quad Cities. She plans on majoring in psychology, and hopes to be an occupational therapist after college.  Bruinsma said, “I  wanted to go somewhere where I wouldn’t know a lot of people, also I enjoyed the campus and the school in general.  Plus I knew it would be better for me if I went some place that I cannot come home all the time.”