Free college tuition proposal

On Monday, April 3, Bernie Sanders continued his push toward free college tuition. Free college tuition was once one of the staples of his legislation during his presidential campaign last year, and despite his defeat, he is not giving up. Sanders proposed a bill that would make tuition free at community and four year public colleges for those whose families earn less than $125,000 a year. This bill also planned to cut interest rates in half on federal student loans for new borrowers. Graduates would be allowed to refinance their loans to obtain the new current rate as well.

The senator from Vermont introduced a similar legislation in 2015, but he did not receive any cosponsors on his proposal. His idea did however gain momentum last year during the campaign with support from Sanders and, democratic rival, Hillary Clinton. Sanders said his motivation to continue fighting for free tuition is, “It encourages those who previously couldn’t afford college, the chance to further their education.” The new proposal isn’t as extreme as what he called for during his presidential campaign, which included free college tuition for everyone no matter the income.

The federal government and the states would pick up the cost of the program under Sanders’ proposal. In order to raise money for the program, the government would tax stock market trading. The federal government would cover 67% of the cost paying an estimated $41 billion a year, according to CNN. The states would be responsible for paying the rest of the costs.

On average, the tuition at a four-year public college is about $10,000 a year. This would be covered for under the free tuition plan, but it does not cover the room and board of students, which costs students another $10,000 a year if they decide to live on campus.