Golfing to gold

On Monday, May 8, the varsity girls golf team competed in the MAC conference tournament at the Kewanee Dunes Golf Club in Kewanee, Illinois. For the eighth consecutive year, the Spartans were victorious in the tournament, beating Muscatine, who took second by 21 strokes. Danielle Henricksen, senior, said, “This is my third year playing golf for PV, and it’s exciting to say that we have won MAC each of those years. It’s a huge accomplishment, and I am so proud of everyone on the team.”

Pleasant Valley had a team score of 380, and Allison Miller, senior, was the individual MAC champion with a score of 79. Henricksen placed fourth with a score of 89. Other team members included Brooke Harris, junior, Madeline Patramanis, junior, Ali Staver, senior, and Emily Bruinsma, senior.

Henricksen said, “It feels good to keep our MAC championship streak alive, and, because four of the six of us are seniors, it’s good to end our high school careers on a high note.”

So far, this has been a very successful season for the Spartans. They have won all five of their regular meets and took second at both the North Scott Invite and the Linn-Mar Invite. The team is looking forward to the remainder of their season. There are three meets remaining before the regional tournament on May 22, where they will have the opportunity to qualify for the state tournament.

Miller said, “I am excited for Regionals, and I am confident that our team will play well. We’ve all been working really hard this season, so I think we will have a good chance of making it to state. The fact that we just won MAC will give us a lot of confidence going into that meet as well.”

The next meet the Spartans will be competing in will be the Dubuque Senior Ram Invitational on May 11.