New look for Lady Spartans

The Pleasant Valley girls’ volleyball team has been very successful early on this season. The Lady Spartans have made quite the statement with their impressive wins and undefeated record thus far. The combination of senior leadership and fresh faces on the team’s roster has created a new team dynamic that has been very beneficial.

With the loss of three seniors and key players Ellie Spelhaug and Grace Budde from last season, the Spartans had to make some adjustments to their lineup. Sophomore, Erica Brohm, made her varsity debut this season and said, “Being new to varsity was a little nerve wracking at first, but all of my teammates have been so welcoming, and our team is already so close.” Brohm also stated that, “there are a lot of new players that have been added to the team, and I feel we’ve adjusted to playing together phenomenally.”

Head coach, Amber Hall, also feels her team has responded well to the changes made this season. Hall said, “We have great senior leadership on the team this season, and the girls have stepped into different roles and accepted that challenge very unselfishly.” Hall also feels the girls on the team have pushed each other every game and practice, which improves the team as a whole.

Senior captain, Elissa Moylan has credited the team’s success to the special connection and level of commitment the girls share. Moylan said, “I’ve never been part of a team that’s this close throughout my volleyball career at Pleasant Valley. I think we’ve been so successful this season because everyone is all in.” Moylan has taken on a leadership role this season, and she believes the team will be able to accomplish the goals they have set for themselves.

One last key component to the team’s success has been the dedication of the coaching staff. The volleyball team is led by Hall and a new assistant coach, Greg Cotton. Brohm said, “I look forward to volleyball everyday because my coaches make practice so fun and competitive.” Moylan also stated, “Our coaching staff puts so much time in for us so we can be the best team possible.”

The Lady Spartans have risen above obstacles and set themselves up for success this season. They will be put to the test again this Saturday in a tournament at Linn Mar High School.