New year, new PV board

This past Tuesday, September 12, school board elections were held for Pleasant Valley. Elections always take place in the month of September of odd years with three to four spots up for grabs each time. The board has seven members total, one for each of Pleasant Valley’s seven districts.

In order to become a representative of a district, a person must live in the area they wish to represent and they must be a US citizen who is both 18 years or older and eligible to vote. Four-year terms are set in place. However, there are no term limits.

School boards have a wide range of responsibilities operating within the framework of state and federal law. Bringing the community and other legislators together to improve the education system is amongst one of those jobs. They ensure that students are receiving an education that well prepares them for their future after graduation, whether they decide to go to college, get an apprenticeship, or go straight into the workforce. They also have the power to spend property tax in ways they believe will benefit the taxpayers of Pleasant Valley.

Chris Cournoyer is the representative for District #1. She ran for her first time just four years ago and was recently elected for a second term. Cournoyer states that her reason for running the first time was because she knew that she could do a better job at representing her district than the man who held the position previously. She decided to run again because she “truly enjoys being part of something that is so important, and that is ensuring that all students receive an excellent education from Pleasant Valley”. 

After this year’s election, the school board selected well qualified citizen Brent Ayers who filled the vacant position of Board President, previously held by Heather Witters who decided to retire. Cournoyer believes that he will be a good asset due to his involvement in the community and his knowledge of what it takes to be an impactful member. There were also two incumbents, Cournoyer and Jean Dickson who Dr. Jim Spelhaug, the the superintendent of Pleasant Valley, believes the district is fortunate to have. “I am happy with the results,” were Cournoyer’s words about the outcome of the 2017 election. Dr. Spelhaug said that “the key challenge of the board remains management of our continued growth during a time when state support of our funding formula remains low”.

Although board members do not get paid for the services they provide our community, they find satisfaction in being part of something so important such as “ensuring that

Iowa schools help students reach high levels of educational achievement”.

New school board of 2017:

District #1 is Chris Cournoyer

District #2 is Brent Ayers

District #3 is Dr. Nikhil Wagle

District #4 is Scott Isbell

District #5 is Jodi Hoskins

District #6 is Christina Anderson

District #7 is Jean Dickson