Tips For succeeding as school starts

It’s that time of the year again: the time when students must wrap up their good summer days and both mentally and physically prepare themselves for an awesome school year. Many students – especially freshman – tend to get nervous about starting school because they fear they won’t be able to keep up with all the hard work and stress that comes along with school. As it turns out, they can get rid of all the stress by simply following few key tips and advice.

Principal Mike Zimmer suggested that all students should “stay on top of daily work [and] try not to procrastinate”. Many students tend to leave all homework for the last minute. This is a very bad habit that will neither help students now nor in the long-run. Zimmer also wanted to remind students to “make use of cell phones” by setting “reminders for quizzes and tests to help remind you to study”. Most students at school carry a cell phone but many never think about making good use of it. Setting up reminder alarms is a great way to stay on track and stay updated on due dates.

Students tend to skip school for small reasons without even considering all the work they’re going to have to make up.

“Students should attend class and try not to miss school,” counselor Tom Neuhaus said. “They should complete all homework and give themselves time to prepare for tests.”

Last minute studying may save students at times, but it won’t help them in other situations. Students must give themselves time to prepare for tests and quizzes to make sure they have everything straight.

Senior Grace D’Antico has maintained a 4.00 GPA throughout her 4 years in high school. Her advice to students was to “make use of 8th period resource to ask your teachers questions and get help as needed.”

Luckily, at Pleasant Valley, students get an entire 45 minute period to ask any questions about anything that’s causing them confusion. 8th period resource is the best way to get one on one time with teachers and to make sure students have everything straight in their heads.

To start and end this school year with the best grades it is possible to get, work hard, stay on track, make good use of resources provided and try as hard as possible.