The rebound

The+rebound

Last July, Pleasant Valley Girls Basketball standout, Kira Arthofer, suffered from a devastating knee injury while playing with her AAU team. Arthofer collided with another player tearing both her anterior cruciate ligament (ACL) and her meniscus. In August, Arthofer underwent surgery on her knee, which meant a long road to recovery lied ahead. The biggest challenge Arthofer faced during her recovery process was being on the sidelines for the entirety of her junior basketball season, a critical time when it comes to the recruiting process.

In both her freshman and sophomore seasons, Arthofer was the starting point guard for the Spartans. In her sophomore season, averaging 11.7 points per game as well as leading the team in both assists and steals, Arthofer was a key component of the Spartan’s success. Going from a prominent role for her team to not being able to play at all was a very tough transition for Arthofer. Arthofer stated, “My junior season was very difficult because it was hard wanting to be out there helping on the court, but knowing the only thing I could do was cheer my teammates on.”

Despite the unfortunate circumstances Arthofer dealt with, she remained positive and was dedicated to the success of her team no matter what her role may be. Head coach of the Pleasant Valley Girls’ Basketball team, Jennifer Goetz said, “To say Kira has worked hard in her recovery from her ACL injury doesn’t do it enough justice. I am extremely proud of Kira and we are so excited to have her back on the PV hardwood this season!”

Nearly a year later, Arthofer has bounced back from her injury and verbally committed to Eastern Illinois University to further her basketball career at the Division I collegiate level. “The thing that drew me to Eastern Illinois was definitely the coaches and players. Their style of play reminded me of both my high school and AAU programs,” said Arthofer.

Arthofer is looking forward to getting back onto the basketball court this year for her final season as a Spartan. Arthofer mentioned, “The thing I am most excited for this upcoming season is playing with my best friends again. I know our team has unfinished business from previous years, and we are going to do whatever it takes to get to the state tournament.”

Arthofer has rebounded from her injury because of her dedication to the sport she has always played combined with her positive attitude throughout her recovery process, and Eastern Illinois University saw these qualities shine through in Arthofer.