Show your support

Many people are showing their support this month to bring awareness to breast cancer. Many of the high schools in the area had their theme for their student section as pink out. Our Pleasant Valley cheerleaders even had pink poms and pink bows to show they support the fight. Breast Cancer Awareness month takes place during the month of October, and this is when many organizations help raise money for the cause or just simply show their support. It is also helps give a platform for organizations to educate people on this serious issue.

One in every eight women will develop invasive breast cancer in their lifetime, and this statistic nearly doubles when someone in a person’s family has a history of breast cancer. Breast cancer will affect almost everyone in their lifetime— whether a person deals with it themselves or someone they know goes through the fight. Luckily, if breast cancer is found early, it is very treatable; the tumor is easily removed. However, the seriousness of cancer is still very important to understand, even though sometimes it is treatable. People are still fighting, and as citizens, it is important to help the cause.

One way people can show their support is running or volunteering at the Susan G. Komen Race for the Cure. Even just being associated with the Susan G. Komen foundation can help. This is a national organization formed in the 1980s by Nancy Brinker. As mentioned on the Susan G Komen foundation website, Brinker wanted to bring awareness to the form of cancer because her sister had breast cancer and felt alone. Brinker says, “Most importantly, women today know that they are never alone with breast cancer.” She wants people to understand that they are not alone in this fight. Millions of people participate in the Race for a Cure and many other breast cancer awareness events to help raise money and show their support. In Des Moines, the Race for a Cure will be held on Saturday, October 28th, 2017. Seventy-five percent of the money raised from the Race for a Cure goes directly to support local fighters. They have raised over 2 million dollars—in Iowa alome— to help fund research, screening, treatment and education.

Brinker mentions in her message to the website that “[w]e have since built a global community of scientists, advocates, neighbors and friends, working together to make this disease a distant memory.” It is important that as a community, people come together to support this great cause because with help, the possibilities are endless.