Made in October

Sue Park via Pixabay

The Major League Baseball playoffs are in full swing this October. The New York Yankees are battling the Houston Astros for the ALCS title, while the defending World Series champions, the Chicago Cubs, are trying to hold off the top-ranked Los Angeles Dodgers in the NLCS. The Los Angeles Dodgers were undefeated in the postseason until reaching the Cubs, and are on route to win their first World Series since 1988.

The Los Angeles Dodgers came from behind in both games played at Dodger Stadium. The buzz surrounding game one was about the controversial call made at home plate. Dodger’s shortstop Charlie Culberson was seeking home after a single hit by Justin Turner. Cubs catcher Wilson Contreras tagged Culberson as he slid into home and Culberson was originally called out. According to the new rule put into place in 2014, catchers are not allowed to block the pathway of the runner without possession of the ball or else the runner will be called safe. It appeared that Contreras only took a step into the pathway in order to catch Kyle Schwarber’s throw. Although this call didn’t have a direct impact on the result of the game, it is a rule that deserves further discussion and a possible revision.

Game two in Los Angeles was an instant classic for Dodger’s fans. Justin Turner blasted a walk-off homerun in the bottom of the ninth to propel the Dodgers to a 2-0 lead in the series.There was questionable management of the bullpen after Cubs manager Joe Maddon chose John Lackey as a closer after Lackey pitched just the night before. “Social media. The moment I start worrying about that, I really need to retire,” Maddon said during the press conference Monday night.

The outmatched Cubs were squashed their first game at Wrigley field after losing the battle of the bullpens once again. The Cubs failed to score more than one run in their first three games. In game four, Javier Baez led the Cubs to their first victory against the Dodgers to force a game five.

Game five was a complete disaster for the Cubs. The Dodgers scored eleven runs to seal the deal in Chicago. Enrique Hernandez hit three home runs, including a grand slam in the third inning to advance LA to the World Series for the first time in 29 years.

The New York Yankees have taken the momentum in the ALCS. The Astros jumped ahead of the Yankees 2-0, primarily because of their invincible pitching on the mound. Pitchers Justin Verlander and Dallas Keuchel held the Astros to just one run per game in Houston. The Astros slipped by the Yankees in the first two games by only one run.

Games three, four, and five were completely different stories. Switching venues to Yankee Stadium flipped the tide in favor of the Yankees. The Yankees’ bats were on fire in game three, scoring eight runs, including an Aaron Judge three run home run. Game four had a final score of 6-4 after a late rally made by the Yankees in the eighth inning. The Yankees shut out Astros in game five and now the series will go back to Houston, Texas.

The World Series will be a hit this year between the Los Angeles Dodgers and the pending ALCS champions. Game one is set for Tuesday, October 24th.