The Alternative Route

Gerd Altmann via Pixabay

College admission decisions are an exciting time, but they may not be for everyone. For some, a four year college or university is not the route they will take after they walk the floor at graduation. Two year colleges, military positions, or trade jobs are an option in addition to the socially accustomed four year university. The same future is not written in stone for all seniors.

Senior Luc Nading explains, “I’m going into the National Guard because it’s a way to pay for college and open up a lot of career opportunities for me. It’s also a good chance to serve my country.”  The National Guard is a reserve component of the United States Army. Most National Guard members will hold a full time job and serve part time as a National Guard Member. Another senior, Kristen Hillyer chose this option as well and is already enlisted as a National Guard member. “One weekend of the month, we do training for bootcamps and have to pass a physical ability test (APFT),” Hillyer explains. For her, enlisting in the National Guard was a spontaneous decision. “I decided on National Guard the same day I enlisted, actually. I needed direction and somewhere to go in my life.” For these two PV seniors, this was the right path for them.

For others, such as senior, Anna Worden, another creative path was chosen. Worden says, “I chose to go into dance instead of college for now because it’s not just a hobby but it is a passion for me. I have always dreamed about being a backup dancer and traveling and taking classes. Dance is my safe place,” Worden states. Because of her 10+ years of dancing experience, Worden knows that this is the option she wants to take. Another area students may find themselves in after graduating is the trade field or job force. Brock Redecker, a Senior, knows he will go into a job position right after high school. “I am going into an electrical apprenticeship after high school, I’ve always been interested in doing a hands-on job, and the demand is high,” Redecker says.

Although four year universities may seem like the most popular option, there are many other alternatives worth exploring. When looking to the future, keep in mind other options that are available.