Halloween High

It’s that time of year: Halloween is just around the corner and thoughts turn to costumes and CANDY! Whether creepy or cute, it’s time to dust off the cobwebs and conjure up some Halloween fun. According to the National Retail Federation, more than 157 million Americans plan to celebrate the holiday this year and spend $2.7 billion. This includes 80% of millennials who get in the spirit as well. But what are teens doing for Halloween?

Maddy Minard, junior, says that although she doesn’t don a costume anymore, “I go out with my sister but don’t go door to door and ask for candy.” Many PV high schoolers plan to pass out candy or attend Halloween parties as well. Nathan Zabel, senior, dresses up and attends a spooky annual neighborhood party. However, he adds that every year, “I am unfortunately doing homework so I don’t have time to pass out candy.”

Others dress up to trick or treat for cans. Ebby Barber, freshman, plans to dress up and explains, “I am going trick or treating with drum line for cans.” For the Spartan Marching Band, trick or treating for cans is a fun and rewarding Halloween activity that supports the Student Hunger Drive.

When it comes to candy, Reese’s Peanut Butter Cups and M&M’s are the most popular candies in the United States, with sales topping $509.85 million and  $500.82 million, respectively. According to the Des Moines Register, Reese’s are the best-selling candy in Iowa. And about half of PVHS students agree with that pick. Other favorites include 3 Musketeers, Snickers, Kit Kats, and ever-controversial candy corn. If you’re looking to tempt your taste buds, several new treats have hit the shelves for the 2017 season. Butterfinger Skulls, Caramel Apple Milky Ways, Pumpkin Pie Kit Kats, and even autumnal Peeps have crept onto the scene.

Whether you plan an elaborate costume, pass out candy to the ghosts and ghouls in your neighborhood, carve a jack-o-lantern with your family, or party with your squad, it’s a perfect time to join in the fun and celebrate! Happy Halloween!

$480
$1000