Selena joins the stars

Maike und Björn Bröskamp via pixabay

This November, there will be a new addition to the Hollywood Walk of Fame. The “Queen of Tejano Music”, Selena Quintanilla, will be posthumously honored with her name engraved in one of many stars lining Hollywood Boulevard.

Quintanilla was a record-winning Latina vocalist and global pop icon from the state of Texas. Devastatingly, in 1995, Quintanilla was fatally shot by the president of her fan club, Yolanda Saldivar. The death of the “Mexican Madonna” upset the entire nation. Now, 22 years later, Quintanilla’s legacy still lives on, as she joins the 2,621 existing stars that make up the Hollywood Walk of Fame.

“Since day one of Selena’s selection into the Walk of Fame, not a day went by that we were not asked by fans when Selena would get her star,” said the producer of the Walk of Fame ceremonies, Ana Martinez. “This day has come and fans from around the world will rejoice in her well-deserved honor.”

The official sponsor of Quintanilla’s star is president of Meruelo Media, Otto Padron. “Selena is one of the most influential music icons of the 20th century; her music, style and smile are timeless and now her star will grace our city forever,” said Padron.

Quintanilla’s music impacted many as both a source of entertainment and a unifying cultural force. Currently there is a Selena exhibit at the National Museum of American History in the nation’s capital. One of the museum’s curators, Mireya Loza, said, “Her [Selena] story connected with so many people and it legitimized the Latino experience for many as well.” Quintanilla epitomized the American Dream and was a spark of hope for other Latino people in America.

Accepting the star on Quintanilla’s behalf is her sister, Suzette Quintanilla. When Quintanilla’s family found out about her star, they released a statement saying: “This day is finally becoming a reality and we cannot be happier. We are grateful Selena’s life has been an inspiration to so many and we hope it will continue to encourage people to follow their dreams.”

The ceremony celebrating the induction of Quintanilla into the Hollywood Walk of Fame will take place in front of the Capitol Records building at 6:30 p.m. on Friday, November 3.