Spartan Boys Football Starts Off Strong!

August rolls around and football season is in full bloom. After losing a high caliber senior class, the spartan boys football team was left in the air as to how good they would be. Everyone doubted Pleasant Valley, even the state of Iowa ranking the team number 12 during the preseason.  Their first challenge was last Friday against Cedar Rapids Jefferson. Jefferson, being an athletic and well experienced team, has always been a solid challenge. With a clear goal of victory in mind, the team went into the game with a “win at all costs” mentality.

Opening kickoff rolls around and the game seems to be an even matchup. Jefferson has a slow but short offensive drive and punts the ball. Led by Senior Safeties Dajour Lester-Nichols and Michael Meyer, the Spartan defense was flying around the field making gang tackles like a band of brothers. With two picks from Dajour and countless tackles and tips from Michael Meyer, the Spartan defense posted a shutout all the way into the fourth quarter. Their second challenge was against Iowa City High. What could be known as a defensive show, the score was tied 3-3 at halftime. With many turnovers on downs and forced 3 and outs the team put together a phenomenal defensive show. Matt Coss, a local news reporter, tweeted about a prime example of a goal line stop for the pv defense where, “PV defense stiffens. City High 4th and goal at 6. WIll try a 22-yard FG.” After a long fought battle the boys lost by two points, but showed many promising signs.

On the other side of the ball, the spartan offense, led by senior quarterback Terry Saul, was in full motion. With almost perfectly executed plays the boys drove the length of the field with ease. Scoring two touchdowns, Terry Saul executed the read option with impressive running ability. Against Iowa City High, the team came out really strong and in the first offensive possession the team drove the length of the field in a matter of 5 plays. With a minute left the team tried to put together a drive to win the game but ran out of clock. When asked what the offense needed to work on after the loss Saul explained, “We really need to work on our communication.” Now ranked tenth in the state, the team has shocked many with their performance and has excited the hometown crowd once again for an excellent season to come.   

$480
$1000