College basketball tips off

Believe it or not, college basketball season is already here. The first games of the 2017-2018 NCAA season tip off on Friday, November 10, all across the United States.

This year, the ACC conference is stacked with teams eyeing a championship. Including powerhouses such as the defending NCAA champions, North Carolina, Duke and Louisville. The ACC is easily the most competitive conference in basketball. The AP top 25 poll ranks Duke University in the top spot in the country. The Blue Devils return this winter with senior Grayson Allen. It was a surprise to most that Allen would stay for his Senior season rather than play in the NBA, but Duke fans are certainly happy with his decision. Coach Mike Krzyzewski, winner of 5 NCAA championships, failed to make it out of the Sweet 16 in a disappointing end to the season last year and is looking for redemption.

The AP top 25 poll only features four Big Ten teams, Minnesota, Michigan State, Northwestern and Purdue. Michigan State is ranked #2 and returns with their star, Miles Bridges. Bridges averaged nearly 17 points per game as a freshman, and has a group of talent surrounding him this year. The Wisconsin Badgers graduated 4 starters last year, leaving junior Ethan Happ in control. Happ, 2016 Big Ten Freshman of the Year, graduated from Rockridge High School across the river, and is hoping to lead the Badgers to an NCAA tournament appearance this spring. “Reloading, not rebuilding,” is the motto this season for Wisconsin. The University of Iowa men’s team is seeking to be a part of this season’s NCAA tournament, after missing the cut last year. Bettendorf graduate, Nicholas Bear, a junior leader for the Hawkeyes, is out for three to four weeks after suffering a finger injury during practice. “We expect Nicholas to make a full recovery and look forward to him rejoining his teammates on the court soon,” Iowa coach Fran McCaffery said in a press release.

The NCAA had an unfortunate offseason this year. The news was filled with scandal and corruption surrounding multiple teams around the country. Louisville and Arizona are among the top ranked teams under investigation, and it is unknown how the scandal will affect them this season. Louisville coach, Rick Pitino, was fired by the Louisville Athletic Association Board, even after claiming he, “had no knowledge of any payments to any recruit or their family.” As the investigation continues, more teams may become involved and suspensions and/or firings could further devastate college basketball.