Cardio for those who hate running

janeb13 via Pixabay

It’s no secret that cardiovascular exercise carries many health benefits and is highly important for your overall well-being. The American Heart Association recommends 150 minutes of moderate exercise per week to improve cardiovascular health. When doing cardio, it’s important to maintain your Target Heart Rate Zone to ensure you’re effectively exercising your heart and reaping the full benefits of your workout.

For those who despise running, this can be a challenge. Here are a few alternative forms of exercise to help you get fit:

1. Elliptical: Though the movement of the elliptical machine mimics that of running, the motion is easier on your knees. You could even watch tv while doing it if the idea of staying in place bores you.
  2. Rowing: Rowing machines, found in many gyms, provide an intense workout for both your heart and your muscles. Rowing works your entire body, targeting your arms, legs, back and abs.
  3. Biking: There are plenty of bike trails around the Quad Cities to explore, especially in Bettendorf. When it’s too cold to be outside, biking can be done at the gym, either in a spin class or on a stationary bike at your own pace.
  4. Swimming: Swimming laps in a pool is a great way to get your heart pumping without putting stress on your joints or getting sweaty.
  5. Roller Blading: Any smooth, flat trail or bike path is perfect for skating, especially if you’re looking for a more enjoyable workout.
  6. Ice Skating: With temperatures dropping, ice skating is not only fun and a good workout, but seasonal as well. Get some friends together for a skaing excursion and forget you’re even exercising.
  7. Group sports: Soccer, basketball and ultimate frisbee all involve fast, continuous movement, and are great for those who are competitive.
  8. Group Fitness Classes: From self-defense, to spin class to Zumba, there’s a multitude of options to get a good workout in with a group of people.

Whether you prefer to workout inside or outside — with friends, a group, or on your own — there are plenty of opportunities to achieve your fitness goals while also having fun.  

$480
$1000