The Spartan Sweep

It was a fitting ending to an amazing day for the Spartans. The Spartan Assembly members present at the Hunger Drive Finale Rally cheered as Pleasant Valley won their division, the Most-Improved award, and the Mission Challenge of the Student Hunger Drive. Earlier in the day, another group of elated Spartan Assembly members received the news that they had been hoping for: the Spartans had met their goal of raising over 60,000 pounds for the Hunger Drive, ending with 45.31 pounds per student.
The Student Hunger Drive itself enjoyed success, bringing in both more pounds and a higher quality of food than last year. In total, the 17 area schools that participated collected a total of 424,845 pounds, more than 46,000 more than last year. Liz Treiber, the Executive Director of the Student Hunger Drive was thrilled with the success: “I am so proud of the students this year. They did an amazing job getting their entire schools involved, and even their communities as well. Collecting over 46,000 pounds more than last year is a tremendous achievement.” Treiber also visited the high school and gave an impassioned speech congratulating Pleasant Valley on its efforts.
More than winning, Spartan Assembly members were incredibly elated simply to have made such a positive difference in their community, emphasized by the emotional unveiling of the Spartans’ final total. Michael Miller, President and CEO of the River Bend Food Bank, greatly appreciates the sentiment: “There were students sincerely in tears over achieving their poundage goal, and other who articulated to media as well as I do why it’s so important to feed the 1 in 5 of their classmates who don’t have enough food. The increased amount of food collected is exciting, and we have now taught an entire generation of high schoolers to think beyond themselves and join the effort to end hunger. That is a tremendous legacy in our community.”
Pleasant Valley wants to thank all students, teachers, and families for their involvement in this year’s Student Hunger Drive. It is incredible to see the PV family come together to support the Quad Cities community and to make a difference in so many lives!