Boys’ cross country adds fresh trophy to the case

2017 for the Pleasant Valley boys’ cross country team will be a year for the books. The team, filled with many talented student-athletes, started their season strong and have ended their season even stronger placing first at MAC, first at districts, and now first in the state. This victory will be the fourth state title for the boys’ cross country program.

After their success at the districts meet, the PVXC varsity runners prepared for the state race that would be held the following weekend on October 28th in Fort Dodge. Under  Erik Belby and Nick Sacco’s coaching Konnor Sommers, Anthony Pena, Gavin Smith, Ian Kaffenberger, Parker Huhn, Kent Nichols and Andrew Witters prepared within the short time by tapering their practices- reducing the intensity of practice workouts days before an important competition in order to have optimal results. Coach Belby reduced the daily training mileage from 5-7 miles to 2-4 miles as well as amped up the pace, working on things like technique, form and endurance.

Senior Konnor Sommer, the first runner for PVXC and fourth in the state, gave his thoughts on the results of state, “I knew we were capable of winning the state meet, but I was surprised at the large margin of victory.” Sommer, as well as all spectators and PVXC supporters were enthused to see the total of 61 points, a 45 point lead on the runner-up team, Dubuque Hempstead. “We trained hard everyday in practice and kept the goal of winning state in mind as we trained. We let our loss last year at state and our poor performances earlier this season motivate us,” Sommer stated.

Junior Gavin Smith, third ranked runner on the PVXC team and 13th in the state, reflected the same feeling as Sommer when looking back at the results of the state meet. “I’m very proud on how we did. Personally that was my best race of the season and along with myself I think that else had a great race as well. We couldn’t have done as well as we did without everyone’s effort,” Smith said. With the official season over, the PVXC team is looking at competing at Nike Regionals, held on November 12th, and going on to competing at Nationals. Good luck to the cross country team at the regional meet this weekend.