A great step for Saudi Arabia

OpenClipart-Vectors via Pixabay

June 2018 Saudi Arabia will allow women to drive, ending a rule that has existed for a very long time and affected many. This decision was announced in a royal decree read live on state television and in a simultaneous media event in Washington.

No longer would the kingdom be the only country on the planet to prevent women from driving.

There have been many negatives from banning women from driving. By allowing them to drive, it will help the economy by increasing women’s participation in the workplace. The only way that women are able to get places currently is by spending their salaries on drivers.

“In order to change women’s participation in the workforce we need them to be able to drive to work,” said bin Salman, the son of the current king and a brother of the crown prince. “We need them to move forward, we need them to improve our economy.”

Women have been protesting to the government for a very long time. This has caused them nothing but trouble. They protest by driving around the Saudi capital, many end up being arrested or even lose their job.

Many people like Manal al-Sharif, one of the protesters, celebrated the victory. Sharif was jailed back in 2011 after posting a video on youtube of herself driving.

Allowing women to drive is different from forcing them. The ambassador made it clear that, “It’s not women must drive, It’s women can drive”. This will allow women who need to get to work the chance to drive, and it won’t force everyone to get a driver’s license and drive if they wish not to.

“This is a historic big day in our kingdom,” Prince Khaled bin Salman, Saudi Arabia’s ambassador said.

These are just the first steps for many more to come. There is a long way to go for Saudi women.