Educating and fighting for human rights

Girls Learn International was formed by Pleasant Valley Senior Ramya Kumar in November 2015, and the first meeting was soon after in December 2015. GLI is dedicated to empowering high school students to create real worldwide change by bringing attention to public matters that threaten equality for all. Every week, GLI sparks discussion between members over a broad range of topics and encourages the sharing of contrasting opinions in order to gain a better understanding of these human rights violations. Discussion subjects include: basic human rights, violence against women, gender equality, rape culture, reproductive rights—specifically in poverty-stricken countries—and more.

Kumar is the head executive for GLI, and two others serve on the executive team with her. Jenni Levora generously hosts GLI meetings in her classroom, room 273. “It’s overwhelming to think about the injustices in the world, so you have to start somewhere. The idea of motivating young people to become passionate about these issues gives me reason to host this club,” says Levora. “I am passionate about sparking discussion and listening to the members of GLI.”

GLI participates in many fundraising events throughout the year. They are currently raising money to fund projects in St. Rido Uganda and the Developments in Literary program in Pakistan. This year, GLI will be having two shirt sales and restaurant events to raise money for a cause of the club’s choice. Interested students are encouraged to come to Room 273 on Tuesdays at 3:30!

$480
$1000