Spelhaug reaches 1,000

This past Tuesday the Pleasant Valley girls’ basketball team kicked off their season with an 83-28 win over Davenport Central. From the start the Spartans controlled the game, outscoring the Blue Devils by 20 points in the first quarter alone. Perhaps the most exciting moment for the Spartans came later in the game. During the second half, senior and Bradley commit Ellie Spelhaug drove to the basket and scored a layup giving her a career point total of 1,001 points, putting her over the coveted 1,000 career point mark. Spelhaug stated, “I’m really excited to have reached it but really my teammates and family’s reactions was my favorite part and made it so much more special!”

Spelhaug is just the second player in PVGBB history to reach this milestone. Head coach Jennifer Goetz commented on Spelhaug’s success, “It’s a reflection of her hard work and commitment on improving her game every year. It puts her in an elite group in Iowa Girls High School Basketball history. We as a program are proud of Ellie and this accomplishment.” Spelhaug’s accomplishment so early in the season puts her just 72 points away from breaking the Pleasant Valley school record for the most points scored in a player’s career.

With the first game out of the way, Spelhaug and the Spartans look forward to a great season. “I’m beyond excited for this season. We have so many positives to this team,” stated Spelhaug. The Lady Spartans will play again on Friday, December 1 against Muscatine.

$580
$1000