From walk-on to Heisman

Brigitte Werner via Pixabay

Everyone loves the story of an underdog. An athlete succeeding while facing great odds is always admirable. This year’s Heisman Trophy winner, Baker Mayfield, is a different type of underdog.

The Heisman Memorial Trophy is an annual award received by the most outstanding player in collegiate football. Recipients of this award are athletes “whose performance best exhibits the pursuit of excellence with integrity.” Previous winners of this award include Barry Sanders, Bo Jackson, Charles Woodson and most recently, Lamar Jackson of Louisville.

Starting his college football career at Texas Tech, Mayfield walked-on to the team as a true freshman. He then transferred to Oklahoma for his sophomore season. This year, Mayfield threw for 4,340 yards and 41 touchdowns with only five interceptions. He led his team to a 12-1 record and a trip to the College Football Playoffs. The Oklahoma Sooners are set to face the Georgia Bulldogs in the Rose Bowl on New Year’s Day.

Mayfield made headlines after Oklahoma’s 31-16 win against the second-ranked Ohio State Buckeyes. After the game was over, Mayfield ran the Sooner flag to midfield and planted it into the ground for all of Columbus, Ohio to see. He later apologized for this gesture after receiving criticism from multiple media sources. Later in the season, Mayfield got himself into more trouble after making an inappropriate gesture and yelling profanity at Kansas players. His punishment was not starting the next game, and he was not one of the Sooners’ captains.  

It was unclear if this behavior would affect Mayfield’s chances of winning the Heisman Award. He ended up winning easily.  

While bursting with emotion, Mayfield began his speech congratulating the other Heisman candidates. His voice broke as he thanked the head football coach at Oklahoma, Lincoln “Pat” Riley. “Coach Riley, you’ve been a great mentor to me, and we’ve been through a lot together. I appreciate you,” Mayfield said. He then thanked his supportive parents and his great fans back home. “I was always Sooner born and Sooner bred. When I die I will be Sooner dead,” Mayfield concluded.

Controversy aside, Baker Mayfield left a legacy at Oklahoma and in college football. His offensive dominance and entertaining personality will be fun to watch in the NFL in the future.

$580
$1000