Searching for the one

The time for applying to colleges is coming to an end and searching for a roommate is becoming a priority for many seniors. This process can be frustrating and scary. Cases like Amanda Knox have caused many to fear living with someone they don’t know for a year, but with today’s technology, finding “the one” is easier than ever.

There are many sources to utilize when searching for the perfect roommate. Many schools, like the University of Iowa, have a matching service. When completing the housing application at Iowa, one fills out a series of personal questions that address preferences for eating, sleeping, studying, cleanliness and personal qualities—it is important to answer these questions completely honestly. After that, it gives a list of potential roommates based on similar preferences; however, this method is not always effective, as it gives a multitude of choices.

Nearly every University has a Facebook group created for the purpose of meeting new people and potential roommates. To be a member of one of these groups, you have to be approved by someone in the group. People typically post a paragraph stating their hobbies, traits and plans for the future. Then, they typically add a couple pictures of themselves so people can visual who the face is behind the description. Senior Claire Thomsen is currently a part of the University of Iowa’s Class of 2022 Facebook group, and says, “Most girls on the facebook page imply that they want to have a fun time but stay in and study. They are all so generic. I think the facebook page would be better if it were based on your major.”

If finding a roommate with these resources is a flop, then you can have your roommate randomly selected for you. Pleasant Valley High School Alum, Bridget Joers, used random selection for finding a roommate. “The first semester of my freshman year, we didn’t talk at all, but we coexisted well. We never became bffs but she was a good roommate.” Bridget enjoyed her experience with random selection but she cautions, “It’s a risk. I know people who went random and had to change their roommate at the semester.”

There are many resources available to students looking for a roommate. When looking for a future roommate, they do not have to be your best friend, rather, you need to be able to coexist well. There is still plenty of time left to find the one. Happy searching!