High school shooting strikes small community

On January 24, gunfire erupted in a small high school in western Kentucky. The suspect murdered two victims and wounded 16 more during the incident. According to reports, the suspect entered Marshall County High School at 8:57 in the morning, armed with a handgun, and began shooting. Students fled the school according to one student, “You could see students dropping their bags and just start running, pushing past each other,’ she said. ‘Everyone in cars started turning around and driving away. Kids were jumping the fence around the school and running through the woods.” Teachers helped as well, grabbing students and guiding them to safe places.

Police arrived on the scene just minutes after the initial gunfire. They apprehended the suspect, a 15-year-old student at the school, and took him into custody. Prosecutors have already begun the trial process. The student will be tried as an adult.

In the midst of the tragedy, however, an act of bravery shone through. Daniel Austin, a special needs student at the school, was shot in the right arm and was bleeding profusely. Another student, despite the chaos, stopped and grabbed Daniel. He carried him to his car and drove him to the hospital, potentially saving Daniel’s life.

The small community was struck deeply by the act of violence, but united together after the event. The community held numerous prayer vigils for the fallen students, as well as the hospitalized ones in critical condition.

The tragedy was the 13th mass shooting of the year, prompting several Democratic leaders to call out for a need for stronger gun laws. Many previous shootings have sparked debate over gun control laws, but rarely do they ever prompt significant change. Given the current political drama in D.C., any such change or discussion remains very unlikely.