Volkswagen’s newest scandal

The ethics of animal testing have been surrounded by controversy for many years. Numerous animal rights activists have spoken out against unhygienic and inhumane methods of lab experiments and tests. Recently, the now disbanded European Research Group of Environment and Health in the Transport Sector (EUGT) has come under fire and sparked great outrage over reports of 2014 exhaust fume tests. These tests were conducted on ten monkeys in airtight containers, and similar tests were conducted on 25 human volunteers as well.

The tests were funded by three major German car companies: Volkswagen, BMW and Daimler (parent company of Mercedes-Benz). The companies have condemned these tests and expressed concern over their ethicality and legality. Volkswagen chief executive, Matthias Mueller, has called these tests “unethical and repulsive,” but now the German government has begun to question the legality of these experiments.

Volkswagen is the world’s largest carmaker, but they have recently been embroiled in various scandals. In 2015, they were caught in an emission scandal as a result of false diesel data. VW’s data collection was manipulated by software to fabricate emission results which met the EPA standards. Tests revealed that the emissions were actually four times greater than the EPA’s limit. Eventually, VW admitted to installing these devices, which made engines appear more fuel efficient and eco-friendly. As a result, the US has placed a $25 billion fine on the German car company. Though the emission scandal is not related to the diesel fume tests, these new reports have put Volkswagen in an ill-timed predicament.

Now the company faces possible punishment from the German government. Although Volkswagen has been at the center of this scandal, BMW and Daimler are also facing both public and government scrutiny. In response to the news of the experiments, Steffen Seibert, a government spokesman, said, “These tests on monkeys or even people are in no ethical way justifiable and raise many critical questions about those who are behind the tests.”

No legal action has been taken yet, but current trends suggest there will be a punishment of some sort. So far, Volkswagen has suspended a high-ranking executive, but no legal action has been taken by the government.