This is spARTa! Q&A with Hannah Allen

High schoolers these days know all about how hard it is to be involved in many different activities. Many usually chose one or two and stick to that, whether that be sports, band, choir, work or anything else. Hannah Allen on the other hand is one student who found a way to make it all work. Being a member of the volleyball team all four years, playing trumpet in Wind Symphony, being a drum major, taking private piano lessons and still being and honors student. Having studied piano since the third grade, Allen prepares for one of her biggest performances all year, taking part in the IMTA piano competition this weekend.

Q: How do you prepare for a competition like this?

A: I learn three songs over the summer and fall and then work on memorizing and shaping them during the winter.

Q: What are you competing in?

A: The competition is called IMTA, Iowa Music Teacher Association. The competition takes place at St. Ambrose.

Q: How does the competition work?

A: IMTA goes on a level system A-F and it’s based on age and you advance to the next one when you reach the age or you win the level before. There’s a judge in the room and an assistant with them. I have to take a music theory test and play three songs memorized.

Q: How did you manage sports, music, and school?

A: It was hard in the fall to try and balance volleyball and piano but I tried to practice after volleyball and homework. I really had to make up for all the time loss after volleyball season is over.

Allen is a hardworking and well-rounded student and that shows in her everyday life. Being able to manager school, music, and sports is quite the task, but she makes it look like a breeze. Best of luck to Hannah in her competition and future endeavors.