Ringing in the next Super Bowl

Fans cheer as they watch a replay of Super Bowl 52 in front of the the Philadelphia Museum of Art before a Super Bowl victory parade for the Philadelphia Eagles NFL football team, Thursday, Feb. 8, 2018, in Philadelphia. The Eagles beat the New England Patriots 41-33 in Super Bowl 52. (AP Photo/Alex Brandon)

Alex Brandon

Keshav Wagle, Co-Editor in Chief

While sports are an essential American custom, nothing compares to the big festivity that is the Super Bowl. Americans all across the nation ready chips and dip to watch the big game, as well as the commercials. Overall, it can be considered to be one of the great American holidays, and for good reason. Even though the game is still the same for all of those watching, it is always a different experience for every single person that watches the game. Let’s take a look at some different Superbowl experiences from 2018!

Obviously, the biggest part of the Super Bowl is the football game itself, and teams are bound to split up the population by fandom. A PV Eagles fan, Zach James, was extremely eager for this game to happen. James decided to make a social event out of it, as many people do on the day. “I invited my friends over and we decorated the house with a ton of Eagles decorations” said James, “I also lint rolled my Darren Sproles jersey and watched the motivational hype video that the Eagles posted on Twitter the day before.” Seeing that the Eagles ended up winning the whole game, it was an extremely exhilarating night for James. “When the time hit zero and Tom Brady threw the incomplete pass, the feeling that we just won a Super Bowl ran through my body,” says James. It is no secret that this will be a year to remember for James.

While the Eagles did win, obviously the Patriots fans were disappointed with the outcome of the game, but that still doesn’t mean that they can’t have a good time watching it! Senior Gretchen Strobbe prepared just as thoroughly as James, but in a completely different way. “Because I am a very superstitious person, I stayed home and watched it with my dad.” says Strobbe, “Each time I have watched it with my friends, the Patriots have lost.” However, Strobbe’s superstition does not stop there. “I made nachos, because that’s traditionally been the winning meal.” explains Strobbe, “I am still extremely superstitious, even though my efforts didn’t pay off this year.” Strobbe decides to do everything exactly according to the way superstition dictates, seen by the last effort: “I enjoy the singing of the national anthem, but I can’t watch it until after the game,” says Strobbe, “I don’t watch the beginning of the game, because it’s another superstition I have. I don’t start watching until five minutes into the first quarter.” While her superstitions didn’t pay off, it’s nice to still keep tradition when watching the game.

Some people who aren’t a particular fan of the teams playing still watch the game and have a good time. Senior Vivek Joshi, while not particularly rooting for one team, had a great time with the Super Bowl this year. “I’m a Steelers fan, and even though they had a good year, I still wanted to watch the game,” says Joshi, “Some of the commercials this year were really good, and I just enjoy watching the game with my family. I usually watch it with friends, but a lot of them had scheduled rehearsal during the Super Bowl and couldn’t watch.” Joshi is still rooting for the Steelers in every year to come.

Needless to say, the Super Bowl is an American holiday, that everyone – including people who don’t necessarily like sports – enjoys. It was a treat for the two teams to play this year, and everyone is eager to see what next year’s Super Bowl entails for the American people.