A breakdown of the hits and misses: Super Bowl commercials

Millions of people tune in every year for the big game, though not everyone is watching just for the game. This year there were very high expectations for the famous Super Bowl Commercials.

A couple of commercials especially caught the eyes of viewers everywhere. One being the Bai commercial. Bai is a low-calorie, antioxidant beverage. Their commercial starred the 2000’s hit song “Bye Bye Bye” by N Sync. The clever connection brought lots of laughs. Hannah Depover, a Pleasant Valley graduate, said, “This was one of my favorite commercials. Who doesn’t love N Sync?”

Another popular commercial was the very controversial one brought on by Journey 84, a political slam on President Trumps wall across the Mexico border. Senior from Pleasant Valley High School, Sammie Mcgee, said, “It was a really powerful commercial, and I hope it opened people’s eyes to become more politically involved.” The commercial cut off early, and to watch the rest, viewers had to go to the Journey 84 website. The website crashed minutes later.

There was a commercial in particular that viewers said would be placed on one of the worst Super Bowl 51 commercials. The Bud Light commercial featured Spud MacKenzie, a fictional dog originally created in 1987. As the Bud Light mascot in ghost form, viewers said they were sad to be reminded that the once loved dog was now dead.

Thousands of viewers this year were disappointed with Doritos. Doritos is known for creating clever and funny Super Bowl commercials, but this year they made no appearance. Kinsey Paulson, a Pleasant Valley senior, said, “That was one commercial I was really looking forward to. Hopefully they will have something great next year.”