United States slides down slope

On March 7, 2017, the annual global rankings came out for the best countries in the world. Last year, the top five were Germany, Canada, U.K., U.S, and Sweden. However, many Americans were confused when the latest rankings came out because the United States has slipped out of the top five. The country has found itself residing as the seventh best country in the world.

The biggest current issue for the U.S. right now is its lack of academic achievement compared to its peer countries. America continues to fall in the middle when it comes to science, mathematics, and reading. The United States ranks 24th in math, 38th in science, and 19th in reading according to a Pew Research Center report. The rankings are a shock to many as well as a very large disappointment.

Nearly 75% of the officials who voted said they had lost respect for the United States after the pernicious tone of is presidential campaign in 2016. Other reasons why the U.S. may have fell in the rankings include its lack in free will compared to other global countries. Also, the United States has a relatively high unemployment rate which swayed the voters away.   
Despite the rankings, the United States still has the strongest economy and continues to have strong military alliances as one of the world’s strongest political powers.