Serving the competition early in the season: Spotlighting PV Girls’ Tennis

The girls tennis team took on Davenport North on Thursday, April 19. This meet was a breath of fresh air for the girls. Many of the girls’ meets have been cancelled this year due to harsh weather conditions. Meets often get cancelled because of low temperatures,  but tennis teams also face many cancellations for rain, as it is difficult to play when the courts are wet. This meet was refreshing for the girls with a high temperature of 56 degrees and clear skies. The favorable conditions were ideal for the girls to enjoy playing on their home courts.

The meet started off with number one varsity singles played by PV’s Lily Feldman and North’s Kayla Cornett. After their singles match Cornett said to Feldman, “I like that no matter how we play, you guys are nice to us.” This is a testament to both teams showing grace by Cornett in the face of defeat, and the Spartans’ humble approach against the opponent from all levels of competition.

Following the varsity singles matches were the varsity doubles matches, but the Spartan pairings had a different approach this meet. Senior Roshni Penmatcha and sophomore Kayla Nutt were paired together for number one varsity doubles. The two presented competition that was tough to match, sweeping at number one with 6-0 and 6-1 wins as they’ve been playing club tennis together for several years now.

Playing number two varsity doubles for PV was senior Lily Feldman and sophomore Abby Feldman. Lily is a regular varsity player and placed in number two varsity doubles with Roshni Penmatcha at the state meet last year. Abby, on the other hand, is a sophomore ranked 13th on PV’s team. Abby has been playing recreational tennis for years with her family; however, this is her first year playing tennis for PV’s team. “It was challenging trying to equal out the level of tennis players that we are,” Abby said. “In the end we had a lot of fun together.”

After figuring how to balance each other out, the Feldman’s won their first doubles match together. The girls’ tennis team finished their meet with a resounding 9-0 win, remaining undefeated so far this season.