Spartan tennis thrives on

The Pleasant Valley Spartan Girls and Boys Tennis Teams are both off to a strong start. With most of the varsity players having trained in the offseason at Thrive Tennis Academy, the PV teams are looking towards a successful season.

After solid performances in dual meets against Muscatine, North Scott, Davenport Assumption, Iowa City High, Linn-Mar, Western Dubuque, and Camanche, the Spartan tennis girls remain undefeated. Aside from the Iowa City High and Camanche duals, which resulted in an 8-1 overall meet score, the girls pulled out a 9-0 victory against the rest of the teams mentioned above.

On Saturday, April 15, the PV girls hosted the Spartan Invite, at which they competed against a series of dual meets. On their home court, the girls battled Linn-Mar, Western Dubuque, and Camanche.

After Sarah Oswald, ‘17, graduated, the team gained freshman, Kayla Nutt. With a new player in the mix, the team has been trying out different doubles pairings to find out what works best.

“Our season is full of experiments in order to see how we can be the most successful later on,” commented Lily Feldman, junior. Feldman holds the No. 1 spot in the PV girls lineup.

Simultaneously, the PV boys team has powered through the beginning of its season. The boys hold a 9-0 victory against Muscatine, North Scott, and Davenport Assumption, as well as a 7-2 win over Iowa City High. Also on Saturday, April 15, they competed against multiple teams at the Muscatine Invite.

“After the unexpected situation of having to play without [Bastola], we were all concerned as a team on how we would fare. However, we have been able to get past it and battle tough for these first weeks of the season,” commented Aditya Subramaniam, senior and No. 5 player for the PV boys.

In the upcoming week, both the girls and boys teams will contend with Davenport North on Tuesday, April 18 and Clinton on Thursday, April 20. Both PV teams will also compete in an invitational on Saturday, April 22.