Prince Harry and Meghan Markle set tradition aside: inside the modern royal wedding

Wedding season has arrived and 2018 brings the world a special treat. Despite Pippa Middleton’s wedding just under a year ago, fans of the royal family everywhere have been starved of a truly royal event since William and Kate’s royal nuptials back in 2011. The wait, however, is finally over. To the delight of followers of the royal family, it was announced back in November of 2017 – November 27 to be exact – that Prince Harry and American actress Meghan Markle are engaged to be married in May.

As spring settles in, the official date, and the details, have been set. On Saturday, May 19, the couple will wed at St. George’s Chapel in Windsor. Invitations were extended to around 600 guests, with around 200 more invitations extended for an evening reception. While the rest of the world joyfully speculates the details of Markle’s dress (or dresses), along with every other miniscule detail of the wedding, the couple’s fairytale romance has continued to make headlines as it rips the royal rulebook to shreds, unapologetically casting tradition aside. Despite its daringly modern look, Prince Harry and his bride have given Britain and the world something to look forward to, along with some much needed joy. Their passion for humanitarian work surrounds the couple with well wishes and a hope that has been absent from the news as of late.

“It’s so fun to watch the royal weddings because of all the outfits and famous people you might see,” said senior Rachael Woods. “I also love getting to see the dress that Meghan Markle is wearing because they keep it super secret until the wedding day!”

While deviation from tradition can be traced to several royal weddings in the past, existing in Lady Diana’s exemption of the “obey” line in her and Prince Charles’ vows and in the Duchess of Cambridge’s choosing of a maid of honor, Markle and Prince Harry are creating waves all their own as their wedding plans make this the most progressive wedding to date. Prince Harry is only fifth in line for the throne, something that gives the couple a little more freedom than the Duke and Duchess of Cambridge’s wedding back in 2011.

As a result, the couple was able to opt for the smaller venue, in contrast with the traditional Westminster Abbey, along with a more intimate guest list comprised only of those with whom the couple shares a close relationship. Making headlines back in the States, however, is former president Obama’s lack of an invite. Despite sharing a close relationship with Prince Harry, Obama was not invited, as the couple wishes to avoid offending President Trump.

Unlike past royal spectacles, 2,640 members of the public were invited to the grounds of Windsor Castle to watch the guests arrive and to view the procession following the ceremony. Of those 2,640, 12 year old Ava Thompson who was injured in the Manchester bombings was invited to attend. With the goal of representing all corners of the United Kingdom, this diverse group of lucky guests was chosen for their work with several of the charities that the couple is affiliated with, youth who are active in their communities and students at the nearby school. Continuing their tone of philanthropy, Prince Harry and Markle have requested that in place of gifts, guests donate to a compilation of various charitable organizations.

As a future royal, every detail of Markle’s appearance and behavior will forever be under strict scrutiny. Despite the extensive rulebook including rules both written and unwritten, the wedding is adopting a flair all its own. Markle has already drawn criticism for public appearances in which she has worn black, sported a messy bun, and dawned  “high street” fashion choices, a nod to the ripped jeans she wore to the Invictus Games – all things frowned upon by royal standards.

Perhaps the most notable break from tradition is the couple’s open displays of affection. Even holding hands in public is frowned upon, but true to their style, Prince Harry and Markle’s joined hands and shockingly normal engagement photos are easing the royal family into the 21 Century.

Similarly, the wedding itself is to institute some modern changes. The couple used “Ms” for Meghan’s title and an email address was given for their official RSVP. The couple will also tie the knot on a Saturday – abandoning the traditional weekday wedding. As with William and Kate, who were married on a Friday, there was a question as to whether or not May 19 would become a national holiday, known as a “bank holiday”,  giving British citizens a day away from the office. While solving this problem, the date is also another strike against the couple as they cast aside yet another long standing tradition.

Furthermore, many wedding details, from the photographer to the cake and flowers,  have been released well ahead of time. Markle was also criticized following the engagement announcement for wearing a white coat that was too short as well as her failure to wear tights. It is also rumored that Markle will be making a speech of her own at the reception. Even the cake, organic lemon and elderflower, strays from royal family’s traditional fruitcake.

Markle herself is a stark contrast from the traditional royal image: she is a biracial, divorced American actress, an activist for change from a young age. Although their wedding has crossed many of tradition’s boundaries, it has captured the attention of many and has succeeded in thrusting the royal family into the 21 Century.

While parting from history on most occasions, the pair will honor the biggest void in the guest list, Prince Harry’s mother, Lady Diana, with their choice of flowers. White garden roses, Diana’s favorite flower, will be used in the church arrangements and in Markle’s bouquet. Her ring also contains several diamonds from Diana’s collection.