My Two Cents: High School Dances

No one has ever asked for my opinion on high school dances, but seeing as I have attended three of them, I feel my opinion should be shared.

What is the point of a high school dance?

High school dances have been an American tradition dating back to the very beginning of schooling in the United States, but if you ask me, high school dances are the most useless aspect of high schools today.

In the weeks leading up to a high school dance the question that seems to follow you down every hallway is “Who are you going to the dance with?” We are asked this question by friends, by teachers and by our parents. We all expect some elaborate “promposal” from that cute guy in one of our classes, or that boy you have been dating for a couple months. But why do we do this to ourselves? Boys feel the pressure of thinking of some witty catchphrase and a small gift to get the girl of their dreams to go to the dance with them. Girl’s build up this dream in their heads, which, more times than not, end in a major disappointment because prince charming did not come riding in on a white horse.

After you get your “dream date” or finally decide to just go with a group of friends, the money starts being spent. Girls go out with their friends to the mall to try on dresses that they like. Remember that these dresses are all the same style, with slightly different floral prints and all cost $100.00 or more. Why would anyone willingly spend that kind of money on a dress they will wear once for about 4 hours? I honestly have no idea. At least get a dress you could wear to a formal dinner or a graduation party, not some blinged out Halloween costume. Keep in mind this is just the dress. There is still the jewelry, the shoes and the new clutch, because the ones from last dance don’t match this dress. Guys have to find a suit, whether they rent one or buy one, those suits aren’t cheap either. Guys must buy a matching tie or bow tie to match the color of the girl’s dress. Corsages and boutonnieres are thrown into the mix of who’s paying for what and the dance has already burnt a hole through your wallet.  

Reality sets in when it’s two weeks before the dance and you and your date, or group of friends, still haven’t made reservations for dinner and have to scramble to find a fancy enough restaurant that will fit the whole group. Hair, makeup, nail and spray tan appointments are scheduled. Last minute changes are made of who will be a part of your group, and where pictures will be taken. Who is going to drive? Should the group take a limo? What about a party bus? Seems like a bit too much stress for students who are in athletics, clubs, doing homework and even in senior year trying to fill out college applications. The night hasn’t even begun!

The day of the dance becomes the preparation of a lifetime. Weeks of planning have gone into this night. It’s going to be a night to remember! Everyone gets all done up and meets for pictures. Parents take picture, after picture, after picture of their children’s outfits. Then when an hour of cheek-torturing pictures are finished, the group heads to dinner. When they arrive at the restaurant, there are other groups there too. Everyone complements each other on how pretty they look, and when you’re finally sat at your table and order, the wait begins. Everyone is talking as tummies are growling, waiting on the food. The wait means the group will be late to the dance, but who shows up on time for the dance anyways? When the food finally comes everyone chows down. When dinner is over and everyone has paid for their overpriced meals, they head off to the dance.  

You would think that the dance would be the highlight of the night. Well, it’s not. I know! It’s unbelievable to think that after spending all this money, and putting in all the time and effort, the teenagers barely spend any time at the dance. Who’s to blame them though? Who wants to spend the night standing in a cafeteria or a gym decorated with cardboard cut outs,  watching the brave souls dance? Maybe some will join in on the conga line but the majority just stand around nodding their heads and tapping their feet. This is what all the preparation and money was put into: a disappointing night with people they already spend five days a week with.

Rather than spending all this money on a fancy dress or fancy dinner, why not just go out with your closest friends to see a movie, or have a fun slumber party? Instead of living your life for the perfect Instagram post about the school dance last weekend, put that time and effort into something you truly love doing.