2018 NFL draft results and analysis

The 2018 NFL draft began on Thursday the 26 and finishes on Sunday the 28. Here are the results of the first round picks along with a small analysis.

1. The Cleveland Browns selected quarterback Baker Mayfield from the Oklahoma Sooners as the very first pick of the NFL draft. This does not come as any surprise. The Browns have never had a good quarterback, so this was a top priority for the team. Mayfield is known for his mobility and ability to throw the ball downfield.
  2. The New York Giants selected Saquon Barkley, a running back out of Penn State. This is a very good pick for the team. The Giants have solid receivers but not have had a 1000 yard rusher since Ahmad Bradshaw back in 2012. This will bring a balance to the run/pass game and take pressure off of superstars like Odell Beckham Jr.
  3. The New York Jets traded picks with the Indianapolis Colts to draft quarterback Sam Darnold from USC. Just like the Browns, the Jets were in desperate need of a new quarterback. Many believed that they would select Rosen as quarterback instead, but Darnold is a solid pick who has the ability to make all types of throws. He will need to work on his turnover ratio to be successful in the pros.
  4. Cleveland traded with the Texans for another first round pick to select Denzel Ward, a CB out of Ohio State. The Browns needed a defensive back and Ward is a fantastic press-corner.
  5. The Denver Broncos selected Bradley Chubb, DE from NC state. This is an amazing pick. Chubb was one of the best defensive lineman in college football and will be playing alongside Von Miller, which will really boost the Broncos’ rush defense.
  6. The Indianapolis Colts pick Quenton Nelson, OG, from Notre Dame. The Colts needed a guard who could protect Andrew Luck, who was hit many times during the 2017 season.
  7. The Buffalo Bills traded up with the Buccaneers to select Josh Allen, a QB from Wyoming. Allen was known for calling his own plays during his college days, so some fans are questioning how he will fit within the Bills’ roster.
  8. The Chicago Bears selected LB Roquan Smith from Georgia. The Bears already have a solid LB core with Leonard Floyd and Danny Trevathan. Smith is solid at playing sideline-to-sideline, and his ability will be tested by teams from the NFC North who like to break plays outside.
  9. The 49ers pick OT mike McGlinchey from Notre Dame. McGlinchey is a solid pick who 49ers coaches hope will help a suffering line protect QB Jimmy Garoppolo.
  10. The Arizona Cardinals traded with the Raiders to pick QB Josh Rosen from UCLA. Many fans and analyzers believed that Rosen was the best QB in the draft and were surprised that he fell so low. Rosen is ready for the NFL and will have great receivers like Larry FItzgerald and David Johnson to throw to.
  11. The Miami Dolphins picked safety Minkah Fitzpatrick from Alabama. The Dolphins need to improve their defense and Fitzpatrick is a good choice to accomplish this.
  12. The Tampa Bay Buccaneers select DT Vita Vea from Washington. Bucs coaches believe that Vea will boost the team’s pass rush and improve their overall run defense.
  13. The Redskins select DT Da’ROn Payne from Alabama. Since Vea was picked right before, the Redskins went with the next best tackle. Payne reminds many people of A’Shawn Robinson, who also played for Alabama.
  14. The New Orleans Saints traded with Green Bay to pick DE Marcus Davenport from UTSA. Many fans like Davenport, but feel that he was not worth giving up a first round draft pick in 2019 for. However, he is still a solid player who is expected to do well in the NFL.
  15. The Oakland Raiders selected OT Kolton Miller from UCLA. Raiders fans are a little skeptical of the pick and feel that he requires a little grooming to be prepared for the left tackle position.
  16. The Buffalo Bills traded with the Ravens to select LB Tremaine Edmunds from Virginia. Edmunds is a fantastic player who was expected to be picked higher up than 16th. He has size and speed and is an excellent pick for Bills fans.
  17. The LA Chargers selected S Derwin James from Florida State. James, like Edmunds, was expected to be placed higher. The Chargers were looking for a a DL, but felt that James was too good to pass up on.
  18. Green Bay traded with the Seahawks to pick CB Jaire Alexander from Louisville. Alexander might not have been within the top three defensive backs, but he is a tough player who enjoys one-on-one matchups.
  19. The Dallas Cowboys picked LB Vander Esch from Boise State. This was the expected pick for the Cowboys from the beginning. Esch is fantastic at accelerating and changing directions to make plays.
  20. The Detroit Lions selected C Frank Ragnow from Arkansas. Ragnow has been known to step up in important games and is hoped to be Stafford’s main pass protector.
  21. The Cincinnati Bengals picked OL Billy Price from Ohio State. The Bengals needed a strong man on the line and got a decent one in Price.
  22. The Tennessee Titans selected LB Rashaan Evans from Alabama. The Titans desperately needed a linebacker and got one in Evans. He is known as an explosive and versatile player who will improve on his abilities to take on blocks.
  23. The New England Patriots traded with the Rams to select OT Isaiah Wynn from Georgia. The Patriots needed a lineman, and Wynn is known for his pass protection.
  24. The Carolina Panthers picked WR D.J. Moore from Maryland. It was well known and expected that the Panthers would select Moore. Moore is a bigger receiver who can make catches all over the field.
  25. The Baltimore Ravens selected TE Hayden Hurst from South Carolina. Hurst is a fantastic tight end who can run routes and line up anywhere. However, many analysts question the Ravens for picking a tight end in the first round.
  26. The Atlanta Falcons drafted WR Calvin Ridley from Alabama. The Falcons already have star receivers in Julio Jones and Mohamed Sanu, so Ridley will be another force to be reckoned with.
  27. The Seattle Seahawks picked RB Rashaad Penny from San Diego State. Analysts believe that this is too high of a pick for Penny. The Seahawks needed a running back, but they had, according to analysts, at least three better options.
  28. The Pittsburgh Steelers selected S Terrell Edmunds from Virginia Tech. This was another interesting pick. Edmunds needs work on finding the ball with his back turned and not falling for route fakes. He has some progress to make before becoming NFL ready.
  29. The Jacksonville Jaguars drafted DT Taven Bryan from Florida. This is a fantastic pick for the Jags, who already have a solid defensive line. Bryan is athletic and will have plenty of time to hone his skills to become an NFL contender.
  30. The Minnesota Vikings selected CB Mike Hughes from UCF. The Vikings needed a cornerback, but analysts feel that he is not a round one pick. Still, Hughes is a physical player who can also play special teams.
  31. The New England Patriots picked RB Sony Michel from Georgia. Michel is a well built player who shows vision and physicality. Most importantly for the Patriots, Michel is a pass protector. However, there are some concerns about his knee.
  32. The Baltimore Ravens drafted QB Lamar Jackson from Louisville. Joe Flacco might be at the end of his career, so the Ravens needed to have a solid backup quarterback. Jackson was a 2016 Heisman winner and is expected to be Flacco’s star successor.