NFL rejects ‘Please Stand’ ad for being too political

Keith Johnston via Pixabay

The NFL has recently rejected the National veterans group American Veterans (AMVETS) ad proposal that called for Americans to “Please Stand” for being too political.

The ad was centered around the controversy that was started by 49ers quarterback Colin Kaepernick after he chose to kneel instead of stand for the national anthem back in 2017.

According to the proposal, the ad would feature the hashtag #PleaseStand with a picture of the Color Guard holding the American flag, and would later ask for a $20 donation to AMVETS. This, however, was seen as problematic by the NFL. The NFL released a statement that said that the SuperBowl has “never been a place for advertising that could be considered by some as a political statement.” They rejected the ad and offered alternative messages such as “Please Stand for our Veterans” or “Please Honor Our Veterans” to be used instead. The AMVETS refused to change the slogan, and therefore missed the deadline for the revised ad submission.

Many veterans, such as Marion Polk, found that this was an issue of corporate censorship. He wrote in a letter to NFL Commissioner Roger Goodell saying that, “We respect the rights of those who choose to protest as these rights are precisely what our members have fought — and in many cases died — for. But imposing corporate censorship to deny that same right to those veterans who have secured it for us all is reprehensible and totally beyond the pale.” The NFL has been the only organization to reject the ad, as both the NBA and NHL did not have a problem with it. Polk, along with Joe Chenelly, national director of the Lanham group, felt that the NFL was taking a position on the issue.

Brian McCarthy, the NFL’s spokesperson, responded by saying that, “The Super Bowl game program is designed for fans to commemorate and celebrate the game, players, teams and the Super Bowl. It’s never been a place for advertising that could be considered by some as a political statement.”

To prevent protests during the SuperBowl, the NFL has promised to donate approximately $90 million to social causes the players deemed as important.